The Destin City Council has authorized that the City of Destin partner with the Army Corps of Engineers to undertake a Destin Harbor Capacity Study.
According to a press release, The City’s Comprehensive Plan envisions the Harbor area to be a “festive market place” environment, to include:
- Tourist commercial and mixed-use development that shall be planned and designed to encourage public access to waterfront views
- Foster a free-flowing, pedestrian-oriented environment that does not wall off access to the shoreline
- Promote convenient public access to the planned Harbor boardwalk
- And reinforce the identity of the Harbor as a world-class fishing village that is open to the public
The overall goal of the study is to:
- Establish a delicate balance between ensuring the environmental health of the Harbor
- Ensuring the safety and enjoyment of all entities and parties that use and visit the Harbor
- And promote the economic viability of the establishments and guests that do business on the Harbor.
The Study is being done under the guidance of the Harbor Capacity Study Steering Committee established by the City Council. All meetings of the Steering Committee are open to the public.
👋 Sign-up for our free local newsletter
The BEST way to stay updated on the headlines along the Emerald Coast every single day. Never miss important local info!