Harbor Docks Charities will host their 36th annual charity auction on Saturday, August 27, 2022, all in the name of helping local kids.
- Harbor Docks Charities helps fund the annual Take-A-Kid Fishing Day. The first Sunday in November, local children ages 7-13 are fed breakfast, taken fishing, treated to a fish fry, and given t-shirts and rods and reels.
“Take-A-Kid Fishing Day was my dad’s idea,” said Eddie Morgan, the owner of Harbor Docks restaurant. “He started it 27 years ago as a way to reach kids who don’t get the opportunity to experience what makes Destin so special, and that’s being here on the Gulf of Mexico and having access to the fishery that we do. So many kids in this area have never been to the beach before, much less been on a boat and gone fishing.”
More than 9,000 children have been treated to a day of fishing on local charter boats over the past 26 years.
As for the day of the auction, here are the details.
- Doors open at 6 pm for the silent auction.
- Bidding starts at 7:30 pm for the live auction.
- A $20 cover charge includes delicious food and a bidder number.
- Ted Corcoran of the Greater Fort Walton Beach Chamber of Commerce will be the auctioneer and host the festivities.
Incredible packages will be available during the silent and live auctions, including:
- Week vacations in Aspen, CO and Livingston, MT.
- Fishing trips.
- Restaurant packages.
- Yoshie’s catered Christmas or office party for up to 30 people.
Not only does the annual charity auction benefit the local children and those who need a helping hand, it also provides a rewarding experience for everyone who wants to play a role in helping our community.
Each year, volunteers such as teachers, firefighters, and the entire Fort Walton Beach High School Boys Basketball team come out to help make the day special.
- “It takes a village and we couldn’t do it without all the great people,” says Morgan.
Harbor Docks Charities also supports Destin Harvest in their drive to feed the hungry in our area. Also, for the past 26 years, Harbor Docks has provided a Thanksgiving feast for more than 30,000 guests. Monies raised have also helped fund numerous homes for Habitat for Humanity.
If you are interested in donating an item for the auction or just want more information concerning any of these events, call Jackie at Harbor Docks at (850) 837-2506.