The Okaloosa STEMM Academy has been chosen to be part of the prestigious 2022-2023 National Blue Ribbon Program, honoring public elementary and secondary schools with students who perform at high levels.
The Okaloosa STEMM Academy is a public middle school that focuses on Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Medical fields. It offers a rigorous and advanced program of study with high school-level classes starting in 6th grade.
- Students are selected to attend the school based on their solid academic record of high achievement in math and science.
The Florida Department of Education (FDOE) nominated the STEMM Academy to the United States Department of Education (USDOE) due to its exemplary performance based on 2021-2022 performance data, according to the Okaloosa County School District. This includes:
- Earned a school grade of A for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Performed, as a whole school, in the top 15% in the state.
- Each subgroup performed in the top 40% in the state.
- For high schools, graduation rate and college and career readiness performed in the top 15% in the state.
Superintendent Marcus Chambers expressed his pride in the STEMM Academy’s nomination and said, “The performance data affirms the hard work of our students and teachers, and their achievement is something we can all be proud of as a community.”
To officially receive the nomination, the Okaloosa STEMM Academy must complete an application to the FDOE and USDOE. The USDOE Secretary of Education will announce the National Blue Ribbon Schools in September 2023.