Traffic disruptions: Drivers will encounter traffic disruptions on the following state roads in Okaloosa and Walton counties as crews perform construction and maintenance activities.
To avoid inconvenience to the traveling public during the predicted heavy traffic period during the year-end holiday period, there will be no lane closures on state roads from Tuesday, Dec. 24 through Thursday, Jan. 2. These lane closure restrictions include both construction and maintenance activities.
- U.S. 98 Improvement from East Pass (Marler) Bridge to Airport Road – Crews continue paving operations, median, turn lane and driveway replacement work on U.S. 98 (Harbor Boulevard) between the East Pass (Marler) Bridge and Airport Road in Destin the week of Sunday, Dec. 15. Intermittent east and westbound lane closures will be in effect from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- U.S. 98 Widening from Airport Road to the Okaloosa/Walton County Line –The U.S. 98 westbound travel lanes between the Kel-Wen Circle and the Okaloosa/Walton County line will be shifted to the north the week of Sunday, Dec. 15. The traffic shift will provide the needed space to prepare temporary eastbound travel lanes for an upcoming subsequent shift. During this phase of construction low-profile barrier wall will be placed in the median. Drivers will be restricted to right turn only at all driveways. The new traffic configuration will remain in place through early 2020.
- State Road (S.R.) 397 (John Sims Parkway) over Toms Bayou Bridge Replacement Project- All travel lanes will be shifted to the southbound structure beginning the week of Sunday, Dec. 15. The traffic shift will allow crews to begin demolition and reconstruction the northbound bridge.
- John Sims Parkway over Toms Bayou will be reduced from four to three travel lanes. To provide maximum traffic capacity during peak travel times, the inside lane will become a “reversible lane” with two southbound (Niceville to Eglin AFB) lanes in the morning and two northbound (Eglin AFB to Niceville) lanes in the afternoon.
- The traffic shift will also require North Bayshore Drive be closed at John Sims Parkway. Drivers will be detoured to Okaloosa Avenue. The existing detours in place at South Bayshore Drive (south side of bridge) and East and West Glen Avenue (north side of bridge) will remain in place.
- S.R. 85 Utility Operations in Niceville from Wolverine Avenue to Cadillac Avenue-Drivers can expect a lane shift between Wolverine Avenue and Cadillac Avenue from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Thursday, Dec. 19 as utility crews perform work.
- S.R. 4 Bridge Replacement over Blackwater River- Work activities continue on the temporary work trestle continue. Traffic will encounter intermittent daytime lane closures Monday through Friday. Drivers are reminded the speed limit has been reduced to 45 mph hour through the work zone.
- U.S. 98 Widening from Emerald Bay Drive to Tang-O-Mar Drive – Crews continue road widening and drainage improvements. Traffic impacts for the week of Sunday, Dec. 15 include:
- Intermittent east and westbound rolling lane closures will occur between Seascape Drive and Tang-O-Mar Drive, from 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. the week of Sunday, Dec. 15. These lane closures are required to place temporary paint striping.
- Traffic on County Road 2378, between U.S. 98 and Poinciana Boulevard, may be reduced to one lane between 8 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. to allow crews to place drainage pipe.
- Intermittent left turn lane and median crossing closures between the Okaloosa/Walton County line and Seascape Drive. These closures may be in place for two days. To reach a desired destination, drivers should make a U-turn at the nearest signalized intersection. Once median crossings are re-opened, drivers will encounter uneven surfaces and temporary roadway materials. Drivers are encouraged to slow down and use caution.
- Driveways and side streets on the south side of U.S. 98, between Seascape Drive and Tang-O-Mar Drive, may be temporarily impacted by construction equipment crossing the roadway. Additionally, drivers may encounter uneven pavement in this area.
- S.R. 81 Resurfacing from S.R. 20 to the Holmes County line – Intermittent daytime lane closures continue as crews perform construction activities.
- U.S. 90 Striping Operations from Okaloosa County Line to Holmes County Line –Motorists may encounter minor delays between the hours of 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. until Friday, Dec. 20 as crews stripe the roadway between the Okaloosa and Holmes County line.
- U.S. 98 Routine Maintenance at County Road (C.R.) 393 – There will be daytime shoulder closures at C.R. 393 from Monday, Dec. 16 to Friday, Dec. 20 as crews restore the shoulder and median areas.
- U.S. 331 Shoulder Restoration from south of S.R. 20 to the Choctawhatchee Bay Bridge – Drivers may encounter intermittent and alternating daytime lane restrictions between S.R. 20 and the Choctawhatchee Bay Bridge from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Thursday, Dec. 12. Crews will be performing shoulder restoration and median work.
All activities are weather dependent and may be delayed or rescheduled in the event of inclement weather. Drivers are reminded to use caution, especially at night, when traveling through a work zone and to watch for construction workers and equipment entering and exiting the roadway.