Ahead of the upcoming open house event for the Brooks Bridge replacement project in Fort Walton Beach, the Florida Department of Transportation has released new renderings and maps of the new bridge.
The $171-million replacement project includes constructing two new parallel bridges over the Santa Rosa Sound in Okaloosa County. The bridge will have an increased capacity of six travel lanes versus the current four-lane bridge that opened in 1966. Additional Improvements:
- New sidewalks, bicycle lanes, and Twelve-foot shared-use paths to aid bicycle and pedestrian safety.
- Reconstructing adjacent intersections to improve traffic flow.
- Stormwater enhancements for better drainage and to reduce the potential for flooding.
- Traffic signal and intelligent transportation system (ITS) upgrades to improve safety and mobility.
- Increasing the navigational channel vertical clearance (from 50 to 65 feet) and the horizontal
- clearance (from 140 to 150 feet) to better accommodate marine traffic.
Preliminary construction activities are now underway with project completion estimated for mid-2027.