🙌 Thanks to our sponsors
Three sandcastles have been sculpted at Destin Commons as part of a summer-long viewing experience.
- The outdoor shopping center now has three elaborately sculpted sandcastles on display, each with its own theme and local partner.
Playing on the beautiful beaches of Destin and all the area has to offer, Destin Commons hired Rick Mungeam, a sand sculpting professional of 12 years, to design and build sculptures representing Destin Commons, Destin-Fort Walton Beach’s Little Adventures program, and the Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park.
Mungeam built each sculpture from the ground up, using up to 8 tons of sand to do so. Each castle, sculpted using only sand and water, will stand tall at five feet and be sure to amaze all that view it.
- And with our unpredictable weather in Florida, the sand artist sprayed each sandcastle with a weather shield to make it last through inclement weather.
The first sculpture is a representation of Destin Commons while the following two sandcastles represent local partners, Destin-Fort Walton Beach Tourism’s Little Adventures and the Gulfarium.
Little Adventures is a program created by Destin-Fort Walton Beach to encourage families to discover new experiences that are fun for all ages.
- The locally-based program promotes “bite-sized adventures for the whole family” with a website that showcases water activities that are curated by local residents.
Destin Commons shoppers are also able to enjoy a sandcastle created in partnership with the Gulfarium. This sculpture features larger-than-life marine animals such as sea turtles, sea lions, dolphins, and more.
The marine life sandcastle not only stands to represent the Gulfarium as a whole but also its C.A.R.E Center, known as a beacon for coastal conservation through marine animal rescue and rehabilitation.
- The program has helped to rehabilitate and release various species of sea turtles found on the Gulf Coast with hundreds of sea turtles rehabilitated and released back into the wild so far.
“Guests will enjoy these magnificent sandcastles created by Beach Sand Sculptures throughout the season,” Brooke Zannis, Destin Commons Marketing Manager. “We are happy to partner with the Gulfarium and Destin-Fort Walton Beach to raise awareness for their respective C.A.R.E. Center and Little Adventures program. We encourage everyone to visit and enjoy these works of art and learn more about what each sandcastle represents.”
Shoppers walking around Destin Commons will be able to take in the views of the sand sculpted masterpieces and take photos.
👉 A fun, interactive component is available for guests to enjoy where they can scan a QR code to open an augmented reality filter inside Instagram to share on social media.
- An additional QR code is available to scan, sending shoppers to a link where they can be entered to win a special giveaway.