The 2023 Okaloosa County Women’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony will honor five local women on Monday, August 28th at the Destin-Fort Walton Beach Convention Center. The honorees are:
- Bonnie R. Barlow
- Cindy Frakes
- Judge Patricia Grinsted
- Col. Teresa W. Ryan
- Lt. Betty Jo Hunter.
- Bonnie R. Barlow, this year’s Carolyn Spencer Humanitarian inductee, has dedicated over 38 years to Bridgeway Center, serving as its leader since 2018. Known for her positivity and sincerity, Barlow has empowered the women of Bridgeway to better serve the community.
- Cindy Frakes, the Community Service inductee, is a longtime real estate agent and advocate for women. She has supported military spouses, served on the School Board, and volunteered with local organizations like Opportunity Place.
- Judge Patricia Grinsted, the Professional Leader inductee, was the first woman judge in Okaloosa County. She served as County Judge from 2004-2021 and now is a Senior Judge appointed by the Florida Supreme Court.
- Col. Teresa W. Ryan is this year’s Military inductee. She served in the Air Force and Navy Reserve as a nurse, educator, and sexual assault responder. Dr. Ryan now teaches at NWFSC’s School of Nursing.
- Lt. Betty Jo Hunter is the Pioneer inductee. She was the first female officer at the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office in 1967. Rising through the ranks to become lieutenant, Hunter spearheaded efforts to support victims of sex crimes.
The ceremony will be emceed by Ted Corcoran of the Chamber of Commerce and livestreamed by Crestview Community TV. Over 130 women have now been inducted into the Hall of Fame since its creation in 1995.
- The Hall of Fame was created to honor women of Okaloosa County — past and present — whose contributions have been of great value to our community’s development. Induction into the Hall of Fame is the Commission’s oldest and most prestigious award.
The women inducted into the Hall of Fame are honored in permanent displays at the Okaloosa County Administration Annex, the Crestview Court House and the Niceville City Council Chambers. Please RSVP to email@example.com if you plan to attend as soon as possible.
For more information, and to see the past winners, visit the website at www.occsw.com.